Monday, August 19, 2013

LOSING THE WAR...

Imagine my surprise last summer when I found out Jake had drawn out for a hunt, seeing that I didn't even know he put in for hunts. While dating, he had vaguely mentioned that his family hunts on occasion and I had vaguely mentioned how much I hate the idea of hunting and that was about all that was exchanged.

At first I didn't mind... But as I realized he would be gone on my birthday week (yes, I still celebrate the whole week) and the cost of this hunting business my tolerance/excitement for this hobby started to wane. But it wasn't until I realized he was planning on mounting his first deer that our battle really began. 

I am a modernist. Hopefully there is no part of my home that resembles a hunting lodge. Meaning, there was no room for that deer. I was so bugged when I realized the most expensive piece of home decor I will ever have in my house garage is going to be a deer head. Here came the threats... "If you bring that deer into my house I will _____fill in with favorite option_____"

     a. Cover it in plaster and turn it ceramic.
     b. Spray paint it bright pink with gold glitter.
     c. Cover it in floral fabric.
     d. Paint a pattern all over
     f.  Cry.
     g. Sell it on KSL, for free.


Jake had a man room at this time, but it had low walls with an attic feel, so a large deer wouldn't have fit. And it wouldn't be allowed where women would judge my taste based on that dead deer. So it was decided, above his motorcycle in the garage would have to do. I was happy and I had won. 

The mount still has not been delivered. (Did you know it takes about a year to get those back?) It bought me some time in a deer free wall environment. But it's coming, and it's coming soon.

In this new house Jake has his very own theater room yet again, but this one has walls... deer size fitting walls. Apparently that meant that the deers location was once again up for discussion. Ugh, after arguing and seeing the bummed out look on Jakes face when I threatened that deer head with a can of spray paint, I caved. I hate to disappoint that man, so I agreed to let that furry dead creature into my home. Hopefully I can come up with something to make that room look good, right?

5 comments:

  1. Don't worry, I have like five in my basement. I can handle that ... I think. He loves them, and that his his thing. I don't have to see them if I don't go down there, but it helps if you name them. Then they're like your friends. They are not allowed on the top floor though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha oh goodness! I love your idea of naming them! I always name things really dumb names so I'm sure Jake will love that idea! I need to come see your house again! It seems like a ton has changed!

      Delete
  2. haha oh chels..as long as its not in your front room or kitchen it will hopefully be ok. haha that is funny though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know! That's what I keep telling myself!

      Delete
  3. Haven't read your blog in a while. This post seriously made me laugh though. I'm the opposite of you when it comes to decorating. AKA I just don't know how and don't really care and well....I like things to look nice but never know where to start or what my "Style" is. I married a hard core Hunter.....and even though I don't mind the idea of a Mounted Deer Head.....I've also been grateful that my husband hasn't been super successful in his Hunting (he does archery) so that I'm still with out a head on my walls. The time will come I'm sure. But I LOVE your threats. lol You crack me up.

    ReplyDelete