Wednesday, October 19, 2011

BEDROOM BLUES...

Okay... after writing out this title I noticed that this may sound like it's a blog post on adult subject matters referring to the bedroom... It's not. It really is about the ugly blue-hued paint in my bedroom. I thought about changing the title, but it was too fitting for my situation. 


Two weeks ago I decided to be ambitious and paint our bedroom... 


I figured that the color in this beautiful home would be perfect. Gray, warm and amazing. However, I had a hard time finding a gray at the stores that didn't look too BLUE. I didn't want it to look blue at all. 


DUMICAN MOSEY Architects - Fillmore Street contemporary staircase
My mother pointed me in the direction of this amazing paint color blog called Favorite Paint Colors. There, I found this lovely gray color by Martha Stewart (shown below), called Chinchilla. 


IMG_1094chinchilla

So close to the paint color I had originally set out to find, and best of all NO BLUE!


I plastered this color on my wall... I kept seeing blue, but denying it and thinking another coat would get rid of the blue from the previous coat... I kept painting frantically trying not to let Jake see the panic. We finished. I closed my eyes and opened them one last time to yell out to my husband "IT JUST LOOKS BLUE". You could see his frustration that a whole Saturday had been wasted on a color I can't stand.

I turned the lights off... Less blue-- maybe I would never turn the lights on in that room? I would walk out... walk to the family room and walk back hoping that it was no longer blue. No such luck... Jake and I slept in our guest bedroom so that the paint fumes would not intoxicate us in the night and upon waking, I ran right back down again to see my no blue, only gray paint. Just to be disappointed. 

The room has sat almost lifeless for the past 2 weeks as I debate on what to do with the color. You know that saying Go Big or Go Home? Well, I am going home and settling for a clean conservative safe... WHITE. 

I know that in Utah there is some awful stigma about white walls and that everything must be Taupe, but I am throwing caution to the wind and going with white. Feeling like a coward I decided to add a punch of color by going with a big bold wall of BLACK. :) 

Here's my inspiration board so you can get the feel for what I'm going for.














So now that you have a feel for what I'm liking what do you think? Yes/no? Any feelings about black and white walls? Any tips?

Wish us luck!





No comments:

Post a Comment